Bill is Of Counsel to the firm for all matters involving tax. Previously, Bill practiced tax law for ten years with firms in New York. He has successfully represented clients before federal and state tax authorities and in business negotiations.
Bill counsels businesses in a wide range of tax matters, including those involving:
- Worker classification, including the reclassification of independent contractors under the New York State Voluntary Disclosure and Compliance Program and the federal Voluntary Classification Settlement Program;
- “Golden Parachutes” for executives;
- Qualified small business stock;
- Disputes with tax authorities, including tax litigation;
- Executive compensation planning and deferred compensation;
- Qualified stock purchases;
- Restricted equity;
- Fringe benefits;
- Cross-border investments, mergers and acquisitions, and operations; and
- Tax treaty planning and withholding taxes.
Honors, Awards & Recognitions
- Repeatedly recognized by “New York Super Lawyers,” a Thomson Reuters publication, for Tax Law (2016, 2017).
- Panel Discussion: “Successful Expansion to the US Market,” at the United States Consulate in Amsterdam, Netherlands, May 17, 2017.
- Income Tax Seminar for UN Employees, New York City, February 28, 2017.
- “Reporting UBTI and UBIT in Partnerships and S Corporations: Mastering K-1 Disclosures for Exempt Org Partners,” Strafford Webinar, September 29, 2016.
- “Basic Tax for Individuals and Businesses Coming to New York,” Continuing Legal Education Program sponsored by the New York City Bar Association, New York City, December 8, 2015.
- “Abandonment Doctrine and Its Discontents: Claiming Ordinary Losses After Pilgrim’s Pride,” Continuing Legal Education Program sponsored by Bloomberg BNA, July 2015, Bloomberg BNA Corporate Taxation Advisory Board Meeting, New York City, July 16, 2015.
- “Tax Exempt Organizations in New York: Commercial Activities,” Continuing Legal Education Program sponsored by Lorman Educational Services, New York City, April 22, 2014, and February, 15, 2013.
- “New York Tax Ethics Update,” Continuing Legal Education Program sponsored by Lawline, Webcast, August 2, 2012.
- “You May Be a Tax Return Preparer (and Not Even Know It),” Continuing Legal Education Program sponsored by the New York County Lawyers’ Association, New York City, September 13, 2010.
- “Understanding the Tax Provisions of the Health Care Reform Legislation and the HIRE Act,” Continuing Legal Education Program sponsored by the New York County Lawyers’ Association, New York City, June 9, 2010.
- “Practical Business Tax Issues for Post-Crisis Economic Times,” Continuing Legal Education Program sponsored by the New York County Lawyers’ Association, New York City, March 2, 2010.
- “Eighth Amendment and License Suspension: Tax Enforcement in New York,” 86 State Tax Notes 933 (Dec. 4, 2017).
- “The Long-Awaited Return to the Fractions Rule: Proposed Regulations Under §514(c)(9)(E),” 33 Tax. Mgmt. Real Estate. J. 91 (March 1, 2017).
- “Carried Interests and Tax Treatment of Fee Waivers: An Attempt at Reform in the Proposed Regulations,” Business Entities (July/August 2016).
- “Report on New York State’s Driver’s License Suspension Program,” New York State Bar Association (2016).
- “Abandonment Doctrine and Its Discontents: Claiming Ordinary Losses after Pilgrim’s Pride,” 31 Tax Mgmt. J. Real Est. 267 (Sept. 2, 2015).
- “U.S. Taxation of Sovereign Wealth Fund Investments in Funds (and Real Estate): Where We Stand Today,” 30 J. Tax’n Investments 43 (Summer 2013).
- “Is the Trading Safe Harbor for Non-U.S. Taxpayers Compatible with the Section 475(f) Election?” 115 Tax’n 74 (Aug. 2011).
- “The Sun Also Sets: Making the Most of TIPRA’s Changes to FIRPTA While They Last,” 9 Bus. Entities 5 (Sept./Oct. 2007).
- “The ABCs of UBTI,” 19 Prac. Tax Law. 43 (Fall 2004).
- “The Thirty-Years Tax War,” 24 Tax Notes Int’l 65 (Oct. 1, 2001); also published in 93 Tax Notes 271 (Oct. 8, 2001).
- New York City Bar Association
- Small Law Firm Committee
- Committee on State and Local Taxation
- International Bar Association