Evan is admitted to practice in both New York and New Jersey. His extensive labor and employment law background includes both private practice and government experience.
Evan represents employers in matters involving:
- Employment discrimination, including before government agencies, such as the New York State Division of Human Rights, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, as well as in lawsuits filed in state and federal courts;
- Wage-and-hour compliance and the representation of employers in disputes before the Department of Labor, as well as in state and federal courts;
- Union disputes and collective bargaining issues;
- Labor and employment due diligence in corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions;
- Employee disability and accommodation counseling.
Evan also helps reduce his clients’ risk of labor and employment-related legal claims through workplace trainings, including anti-discrimination and harassment training. In addition, Evan is frequently called upon to lecture on labor and employment matters for a wide range of professional organizations and institutions. He has also been quoted by several notable publications to comment on newsworthy matters in the area of labor and employment law.
Evan’s government experience includes service as an Assistant General Counsel for the Mayor’s Office of Labor Relations, which is responsible for municipal labor relations for the City of New York, which employs approximately 300,000 people and 140 individual bargaining units. There, he provided legal counsel and represented the City in collective bargaining negotiations. He also served as a Review Officer for the New York City Office of Labor Relations. In that capacity, he heard labor grievances between the City of New York and its unions involving issues such as discipline and discharge of City employees and contractual disputes arising from collective bargaining agreements.
Previously, Evan practiced employment law at one of New York City’s oldest law firms. There, he represented employers in a broad range of industries including healthcare, higher education, and the automotive industry. He also drafted collective bargaining agreements, employer policies, handbooks, severance agreements, employment contracts, and appeared in federal and state courts and before administrative agencies.
Honors, Awards & Recognitions
- Awarded Highest Rating of “AV Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Rated 10/10 “Superb” by AVVO.
- Selected as a New York Metro “Rising Star” in Labor and Employment Law by Super Lawyers, a Thomson Reuters publication (2013-2017).
- Verified by Lead Counsel, a Thomson Reuters service, for Labor and Employment Law (2017).
- Featured in “New York’s Top-Rated Attorneys,” by Legal Leaders, an ALM publication (2015).
- Finalist for “Attorney of the Year Award,” presented by SmartCEO magazine and Citibank (2014).
- “FLSA Claims and Alternative Dispute Resolution,” National Academy of Arbitrators, May 2019.
- “Combating Sexual Harassment in the Workplace: Keeping Current and Compliant,” BuildingsNY Annual Conference, sponsored by the Associated Builders and Owners of Greater New York, April 2019.
- “Settlement of FLSA Claims: Understanding the Mandatory Court Approval Process,” Inaugural Wage & Hour ExecuSummit, hosted by Mohegan Sun, November 2018.
- “What #Metoo Means for Your Business,” hosted by Prudential, May 2018.
- “Employment Law Developments Affecting the Media, Tech, and Entertainment Industries,” New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Strategic Steps for Growth Program, April 2018.
- “Business Buyers and Sellers: Key Employment Law Considerations,” New Jersey State Bar Association, New Jersey Institute of Continuing Legal Education, December 2017.
- “Worker Misclassification: Employee v. Contractor & Exempt v. Non-Exempt,” Interise.org, February 2016.
- “Employment Law Tips for Small Business Owners,” New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Strategic Steps for Growth Program, March 2015.
- “Cyber Security for Attorneys” (Panelist), Produced by SUM Innovation and hosted by Citrin Cooperman, January 2015.
- “Unpaid Interns: What You Don’t Know Can Cost You,” Lawline.com, June 2014.
- “Employment Law Essentials for Media and Entertainment Businesses,” New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Strategic Steps for Growth Program, March 2014.
- “Employment Law Issues Affecting the Media and Entertainment Industries,” New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Strategic Steps for Growth Program, March 2014.
- “Preventing Workplace Discrimination and Harassment,” New York State Society of CPAs, April 2013.
- “Complying with the EEOC’s Enforcement Guidance: Consideration of Arrest and Conviction Records in Employment Decisions,” Workplace Training Center, January 2013.
- “What HR Executives Need to Update in HR Manuals for 2013,” ExecSense, December 2012.
- “Employment Law for Business Attorneys,” National Academy of Continuing Legal Education, October 2012.
- “Legal Dos and Don’ts of Employee Discipline,” Management Training Resources, November 2012.
- “Employment Law Essentials,” Lawline.com, July 2012.
- “Most Common Pitfalls of Wage-and-Hour Law … and How to Avoid Them” Management Training Resources, June 2012.
- “Navigating Wage-and-Hour Laws: Tips and Tools for Human Resource Professionals,” SHRM, Human Resources Association of New York, May 2012.
- “Avoiding Three Employment Law Traps: Unpaid Interns, Independent Contractors, and Overtime,” New York Small Business Expo, May 2012.
- “Employment Law and the Internet: Understanding and Managing the Risks to Businesses,” hosted by SyNet Solutions. February 2012.
- “Employment Law Tips for Entrepreneurs,” New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Strategic Steps for Growth Program, November 2011.
- “New York Wage-and-Hour Law Compliance,” Lawline.com, October 2011.
- “Employment Law 101 for Business Managers,” New York Small Business Expo, May 2011.
- “Employment Law 101 for Business Managers,” Cathedral Consulting, May 2011.
- “Business Entity Selection and Best Employment Practices,” Service Corps of Retired Executives (“SCORE”), April 2011.
- “Best Employment Practices for Small Business Owners,” Service Corps of Retired Executives (“SCORE”) and the United States Small Business Administration, November 2010.
- “Employment Law Tips for Small Business Owners,” New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Strategic Steps for Growth Program, November 2010.
- Quoted in “What Facebook’s Anti-Conservative Bias Charge Says About Work,” CBS News, August 2018.
- Quoted in “Political Discord in The Workplace? Here’s What to Do,” Inc. Magazine, November 2017.
- Quoted in “Can You Fire An Employee Because You Hate Their Views? It Depends,” Fast Company, August 2017.
- Quoted in “NYC Intern Protections Will Start Domino Effect Across US,” Law 360, LexisNexis, March 2014.
- Quoted in “Local Wage Hikes in NY Could Create Compliance Headaches,” Law360, LexisNexis, February 2014.
- Quoted in “Have You Misclassified Your Workers? IRS Will Help, But There’s a Catch,” Proformative, April 2013.
- Quoted in “5 Tips For Navigating NYC’s New Ban On Unemployment Bias,” Law 360, LexisNexis, April 2013.
- Quoted in “How to Effectively Enforce Distracted Driving Policies,” Automotive Fleet Magazine, December 2012.
- Quoted in “How Legal Is Your Unpaid Internship Program?” American Express Open Forum, May 2012.
- “Subjects of Bargaining,” The Developing Labor Law, Seventh Edition, 2018 Cumulative Supplement, Bloomberg BNA.
- “Is Your Unpaid Internship Program Legal?” Priori Legal, November 2013.
- “Time to Revise Your Employee Handbook,” SmallBiz Bits, October 2012.
- “Practical Tips for Employers for the 2012 Campaign Season,” SmallBiz Bits, September 2012.
- “Think It’s Legal to Refuse to Hire Anyone With a Criminal Conviction? Think Again!” SmallBiz Bits, August 2012.
- “Three Employment Law Tips for Small Business Owners,” SmallBiz Bits, January 2012.
- “The Board, the Courts, and the National Labor Relations Act,” The Developing Labor Law, Sixth Edition, 2015 Cumulative Supplement, Bloomberg BNA.
- “2010 U.S. Second Circuit Court Decisions Affecting Labor and Employment,” New York State Bar Association Labor & Employment Law Journal, Spring 2011.